Monday, March 25, 2013

Five Rules

As a district, we use the PBIS behavior program. So we have a matrix of expectations I each school location explaining the accepted and expected behaviors for that location. In my classroom, I linked the five rules to these expectations, and it works great!

We use PRIDE, Positive, Respectful, Integrity, Disciplined, and Educated. Each of the five rules from WBT fits into one if these categories (read: I made them fit lol).

Rule 1: Follow directions quickly. The gesture for this rule is to waggle your hand back and forth. Students are expected to move quickly when given directions or during transitions. If I see someone taking too long, there are two options to remind the student of the rule: use the scoreboard, or call out "rule 1" and have all of the students repeat the rule and gesture. Either of these options should redirect the student in a positive way!


Rule 2: Raise your hand for permission to speak. This gesture is to raise one hand in the air, then bring it down to your mouth and do the talking motion. This is a GREAT rule to help students remember not to talk unless given permission. I really use class leaders to help the chatty kids get back on task. Instead of me using my "teacher stare", or calling out kids names, or any of those other teacher tricks, all I have to do is call out "Rule 2!" and the class does the rest. When they repeat this rule, those chatterboxes instantly stop. this is peer pressure at its finest.



Rule 3: Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat. The best part of this rule is that I can put a green post-it note over the rule when I don't want this rule in effect. When students are working in cooperative groups (which happens very often in science), I put a green card on the rule to let students know they can get up without asking. We had to practice this part of the rule too, so that students knew that is only meant getting supplies or sharpening pencils, not wandering around to other groups.


 Rule 4: I absolutely love this rule. I use this one more as a question than a rule. If I see a student doing something questionable, I tilt my head to the side and ask, "Rule 4?" Instantly the student stops what they are doing. I have (yet) to have a student talk back or question me on this BECAUSE I didn't accuse them of anything! I just asked them a question in a quiet, polite way. I do have students that like to act like they weren't doing anything, but who cares! They got back on task - which is the whole point!



Rule 5: Keep your dear teacher happy. This is the catch-all. This is the one that will catch any rule breaker in his tracks. Since the only thing that keeps me happy is when my students are learning, there is no loop-hole to this rule. No possible chance for argument, or back talk. How could you not love that?

No comments:

Post a Comment